On Wednesday Morning, August 17th, at 7:41AM, Selkirk FD was dispatched to a Carbon Monoxide alarm going off at the Glenmont Price Chopper, in the Town Squire Plaza. First crews went into the store, with CO Meters, and found high CO readings in the rear of the store, near the produce cooler. The store was immediately evacuated for the safety of the customers, and employees of the store. Upon further investigation inside the store, and also on the roof, fire department members, and utility company personnel, determined the cause of the high CO reading was related to a broken exhaust pipe that vented a bakery stove. The broken pipe was above the produce cooler, which had a partially opened ceiling tile, causing the CO to enter into the cooler. Exhaust vans were put in place to ventilate the facility before anyone was allowed back in. The stove was turned off and CO levels were checked again, before the all-clear was given to reopen the store.
The alarm in question was a newly installed alarm that is mandatory to have in all commercial buildings in NYS. This is a perfect example of the importance of having CO Alarms in not only commercial buildings, but also in your home. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless gas that can be deadly if not detected.